When filling in the pockets in teeth created by drilling out cavities, until recently dentists used amalgam (silver fillings). A dental filling is important because they help restore teeth damaged by decay back to their normal function, and can prevent further tooth decay. Nearly half of the weight of amalgam silver fillings, however, is comprised of the element Mercury. That’s not great. Mercury has been shown to be associated with dementia and gastrointestinal problems. It is also thought to show some relation to conditions like ADHD.
While metal alloy fillings can cause tissue irritation in persons with metal sensitivities, it is also suspected that the body is exposed to mercury on a daily basis during normal chewing and use of the mouth.
A study conducted in Germany showed that individuals who had amalgam fillings had increased rates of mercury levels in their body during their autopsy as opposed to people who had no amalgam fillings. Levels of mercury in the liver and brain measured extremely toxic.
White composite fillings (mercury free fillings) and its advantages:
- Years in the future, we have access to advanced dental materials that allow us to fill teeth with tooth-colored, mercury free fillings. These composite resin fillings are also more aesthetic as they are made to match your natural tooth.
- White composite fillings are less invasive to the tooth structure than silver amalgam fillings. Composite filling material bonds directly to the tooth structure, while amalgam fillings are wedged in and require the removal of more tooth structure.
- Resin based composite fillings are less likely to affect you and cause tooth sensitivity to hot and cold.
- Removal of amalgam mercury fillings and replacing them with a composite, tooth colored filling can reduce mouth irritation caused by metal sensitivity and reduce the risk of toxic mercury exposure. Dr. Laskis uses special techniques to remove metal fillings and filtration devices that prevent the mercury from re-entering the environment.