Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential for healthy teeth. Visiting the dentist is also essential so that you can receive advice and instruction regarding the proper care for your teeth.
At Parkview Dentistry of Fountain Hills, Arizona, we perform an oral exam along with x-rays and other imaging techniques during the initial appointment. The use of dental imaging allows our dentists to make well-informed diagnoses and create treatment plans based on the patient’s unique dental needs. We use a variety of types of imaging for different dental applications, but the one chosen will depend on your symptoms and dental concerns.
Here are some of the dental imaging procedures we may use during your visit.
- Digital X-Rays: Almost every dental patient is familiar with the most common dental imaging technique, digital x-rays. This digital technology has lowered the exposure to radiation and improved efficiency, providing our clients with better care and a better overall experience during their visit. Within minutes, our dentist can view the digital images, which allow him or her to detect any abnormalities in the gums, teeth, or enamel.
- CEPH X-Ray: Also called a cephalometric analysis, this type of panoramic x-ray shows the entire bone structure of your jaw, neck, and head. This type of imaging is useful in predicting the movement of a patient’s teeth when applying various treatments.
- Intraoral Camera: This camera allows our hygienists to take digital pictures of the outside of the gums and teeth. With the use of a monitor, the hygienist can ensure the area of concern is visible from different angles, letting the dentist make the correct diagnosis. There are three types of x-rays available, depending on where the x-ray is performed.
- Periapical X-Ray – This type of x-ray provides a dentist with a complete view of a tooth, starting at the jaw and continuing up to the enamel. Images like this can identify growths, abnormalities, and changes that may occur in the root, around the gum, or in other parts of the bone.
- Bitewing X-Ray – To identify cavities and tooth decay, we use this type of imaging which focuses on the tooth enamel. This helps us pinpoint where fillings are needed and the stage of deterioration.
- Occlusal X-Ray – Primarily used when investigating an alignment issue, the occlusal x-ray provides a broader look at the overall arch of the teeth to determine the problems that may need to be fixed with braces.
We use a variety of dental imaging techniques to ensure that every patient is comfortable and receives the treatment that is most appropriate for their symptoms. Contact our office today to take the first step toward achieving your dental goals. Please contact our dental team if you have any questions or concerns, so we can schedule your appointment.